This plant rescue involves a plant, that at first, I wasn’t sure what it was. Labelled as “houseplant”, I took the mystery plant home to see if it could be resurrected. At first glance, it seemed to be a little crispy and under watered. Even though the plant had been fitted with a self watering “string” cramped up the bottom of the plastic pot, the watering system had clearly failed.

I had a hunch that it was a Zebra plant, scientifically known as
Aphelandra squarrosa, and took to the internet to confirm my guess. Low and behold, I was right.

The lower leaves where wrinkled and brown however there was a little, baby leaf poking out of the top of the plant. It won’t take long to see if this new growth will revive and continue on or shrivel and die. I think this will be a sign of whether or not I rescued this plant too late.

Plant Rescue 2 Week Check In:

It has been two weeks since I rescued my Zebra Plant and I noticed there are changes already happening. The little baby leaf on top is growing and has sprouted two more little leaves. The larger leaves are being to straighten up and fly right, basking in the sun and drinking up the proper amounts of water. I think it is safe to say this plant is on the mend, but let’s give it another two weeks to see if we have truly made progress.

Plant Rescue 4 Week Check in:

After 4 weeks, my sad zebra plant is not looking so sad after all. There are three new leaves that are growing leaps and bounds. The older leaves are looking much healthier. I’d say that this neglected houseplant is officially on the mend.

If you are looking for more plant rescues, check out this post on my recently rescued Ctenanthe lubberisana.